Thursday, July 11, 2013

Chicken Chili, my go-to slow cooker meal

Slow cooker recipes are easily adapted to become gluten-free. In fact, many of my favorites are naturally gluten-free--like my absolute, all time favorite: "Crockpot Chicken Chili." When I know I'm in for a busy day, this is my go-to recipe--summer, winter, spring or fall. It's delicious, and you can't screw it up.

Put the ingredients in your slow cooker before you leave for work, and you'll be thanking yourself when you drag yourself home at the end of the day. Even though my nest is now empty, I frequently make a big batch of this for my husband and me, and we eat the leftovers for a couple of days. (The leftovers are even better than the original!)

Crockpot Chicken Chili (6 Servings)

3-4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 jar (16 oz.) or 2 C. chunky salsa
1 can (15.8 oz.) Great Northern beans, undrained
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, undrained
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tsp. cumin

Grease a 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 slow cooker and place chicken in the bottom. Pour salsa, beans, tomatoes and cumin over the top and stir. Cover and cook on low 6-9 hours. Use two forks to shred the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. Stir.

I make mine extra-thick by using four chicken breasts. Serve it with shredded cheese and sour cream. To die for, I'm telling you!