Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Breakfast in the Big City




Chicago is home to Millennium Park--and Wildberry Pancakes and Cafe.

I have made two trips to beautiful Chicago in the past month: on the first trip I accompanied Doug to a conference in the bustling downtown area, and on the second trip we attended the wedding of the daughter of a close friend in the lovely little suburb of Wheaton.

My first cinnamon roll
in six years!
Besides enjoying several of Chicago’s recreational and cultural offerings, I was pleased to find that Chicago is onto gluten-free dining. Such restaurants as Morton’s The Steakhouse (65 E. Wacker Pl.) and Volare (201 E. Grand) in Chicago and Ivy (120 N. Hale) in Wheaton offered some especially nice gluten-free options. But my happiest discoveries were two outstanding breakfast restaurants.

The Egg Harbor Cafe rooster.
In fact, I ate at Wildberry Pancakes and CafĂ© (130 E. Randolph St.), a breakfast restaurant located directly across from Millenium Park, three times while we were at the conference. While at the wedding, I ate at Egg Harbor Cafe (208 S. Hale St.) twice. Wildberry’s GF Pancakes were the best I’ve encountered since I’ve had celiac disease. I ate them every day—so quickly, in fact, that unfortunately I didn’t take the time to take a photo. You’ll just have to trust me on this.

(We actually tried to eat at Wildberry one other time on the weekend but the wait was 1½ hours for brunch, and we didn’t have the time—so keep that in mind if you plan to eat there. On weekdays, we were seated immediately.)

At Egg Harbor Cafe, I also had some mighty tasty pancakes on the first day, but on the second day I had the first cinnamon roll I’ve had in four years. And oh, boy, was it ever the bomb! If I ever have the chance to return to Wheaton, you can bet that I will visit Egg Harbor again!


In addition to Wildberry’s downtown location, there are two other locations: 1783 N. Milwaukee Ave, Libertyville, IL and 1383 N. Meacham Rd., Schaumburg, IL. Egg Harbor, happily, has 18 restaurants in Illinois, Wisconsin, and Georgia. You can look them up at www.eggharborcafe.com.