Saturday, December 28, 2013

(P)raising the bar … , Part 2


Who needs pecan pie?!

A short while back, I wrote a blog titled “(P)raising the bar,” in which I posted one of the best refrigerator bar recipes I have ever made. I found it on The Gluten-Free Resource Directory, where you’ll find countless wonderful gluten-free recipes for every kind of food imaginable. Called Primal Coconut Nut Bars, the recipe was created by Carly Shankman.

Since then many of my friends and readers have also praised (or panned, pardon the pun … and the alliteration) the recipe. My friend Linda Marshall made a few modifications to make it more suitable to her taste (without coconut). You can find the recipe in my November blogs, and here is Linda’s recent post:

“I made them yesterday and we love them! I subbed oatmeal for the dry coconut, used a mix of almond butter and maple butter, and used a combo of craisins and dried apples. Next time, I plan to add mini chocolate chips.”

Linda’s maple butter is Maranatha, and she purchased it at Wal-Mart. Of course, if you have celiac disease or gluten intolerance, you’ll need to use gluten-free oats. I love the oats from Bob’s Red Mill.

In the meantime, here is another bar from a blog called Cassidy’s Craveable Creations titled Paleo No-Bake Pecan Pie Bars. If you like dates and pecans—Oh, Sweet Mother of Pearl!—you will love these! And they’re soooo easy!

So easy! I made them in my little
4-cup food processor.
Paleo No-Bake Pecan Pie Bars

1 C. Pecans, chopped
1 C. Medjool Dates, pitted (I used 9, soak in warm water 15 minutes if hard)
2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil, measured in solid form
1 tsp. Pure Vanilla
1 Pinch of Sea Salt
1 Tbsp. Honey

In a food processor fitted with an “S” blade, process the pecans until very finely chopped. Add in the dates, coconut oil, vanilla, salt, and honey. Process until everything is well mixed, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Line a baking pan or baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the mixture to the pan and use your hands to press into a rectangle about ½ inch thick. Place in freezer for 1 hour to set, and then cut into squares.

Sometimes I plan my day around eating these bad boys!